Magnets: Toys that contain small magnetic components are dangerous as small magnets that can detach from the rest of the toy can be swallowed by small children. When opposite poles of these magnetic pieces are swallowed or, if these are swallowed together with a metallic object; these pieces can re-attach and remain trapped within the child's intestinal tract. Since 2005, magnets have been the cause of 1 reported death and 86 reported injuries. Toys with small magnets have been recalled to prevent further injuries. The Commission further advised that such toys should only be given to children over 6 years of age.
Furniture Tip Overs: Furniture, and home appliances can tip over and crush young children. Injuries and some deaths occur when children climb over, fall or pull themselves up against these. Children will less likely climb onto furniture and appliances if there are no objects placed over the top of TVs, shelves and counter tops. Such objects such as toys and food can attract children.
Windows, Blinds and Drapes: Children can fall off windows or can be trapped by window cords. Loops used to close or draw blinds and drapes can trap and strangle children. Thousands of children under the age of 10 have been known to fall off windows causing 9 deaths per year on average. Secure loose loops of window blinds so that these are kept from children's reach. Install window guards or stops as screens will not be sufficient to stop a child from falling.
Pool and Spa Drains: Broken drain covers in pools can present hazards to all ages. The suction from a draining pool is so powerful that it can hold an adult under water. Small children can be defenseless when their small bodies are sucked against the drain or when hair gets pulled and entangled. Parents should check that pools have drain covers in place before allowing their child to enter a pool. Safety Vacuum Release Systems can also be installed to shut off the pool's pump when a drain is blocked.
Recalled Products: The Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls from store shelves, hundreds of products per year as soon as these are found to present safety hazards. Examples of recalled products in the past year are toys and jewelry containing excessive amounts of lead. Small trim on clothing may have come off easily, and can potentially choke small children. We can all be made aware of recent product recalls by signing up through the CPSC's website. Log on to www.cpsc.gov.